A Historic Build
Sometime, just before June of 1883, four acres were bought from Mr. Thomas Hopkins. A sum of $10.00 per acre was paid for the property, totaling $40.00, with the intent of building the first church sanctuary. The second structure was built by 1898, just south of our present sanctuary. This building was much larger than the one room facility already constructed. It housed the sanctuary and Sunday school rooms, and was heated during winter by two large wood burning stoves. During the Texas summer months four ceiling fans were required to cool the building.
Additions needed to be made from time to time to accommodate the growing church membership, and Winterfield participated in a regular circuit, first with Hallsville, Summerfield & LaGrone, and later with Danville near Kilgore. The parsonage was actually located on the Danville church site.
A third frame church was built in 1929. This building served its members for many years. It was updated and enlarged many times before it was moved to the back of the property to make way for the current sanctuary to be built. Then it was put into use as classrooms.
During the 1940's, after Winterfield received it's very first full-time pastor (James McAdams), a parsonage was constructed behind the church. This parsonage was able to serve the congregation until a new one could be purchased on Akin Drive in 1967.
The growing church began to make plans for a new brick structure in 1955. A ground-breaking ceremony was held on November 10, 1957, with three longtime members turning the first spade of earth. Those members were Tom Davis, Dan Smitherman and Lewis Richardson. The sanctuary, pastor's study, church office, seven Sunday school rooms and a cry room were completed in 1958, and the building was consecrated to the "Glory of God" on May 18, 1958. A separate education facility was finally erected in 1969, and classes were moved from the old building out back to the new more modern structure.
The church organized its first Youth Choir in 1972. The year 1975 say Winterfield celebrating it's 100th Anniversry! The year ushered in many events, such as the erection of a church directory (sign) out front, which was dedicated in loving memory of two of the founding members of Winterfield, Mr. & Mrs. G.B. (Doc) Richardson. Also, a time capsule was built and shall be opened in 2025. This capsule contains items such as records, messages and little mementoes of the daily lives of Winterfield members and the community. That year also saw a fire during December, a fire which our church survived and marched forward with the Grace of God!
A new parsonage was built in 1991 on Garner and stands as our current parsonage. However, the parsonage is being offered as a rental home in the community, as our current pastor is married to the associate pastor at First United Methodist Church downtown, and they live in her parsonage, which is centrally located to both facilities. A remodel on our sanctuary occurred in 2000 that extended the choir loft to accommodate a new organ and grand piano. The remodel also created what is known as the choir hall, our beautiful steeple, and the fellowship hall we all enjoy. A Window of Love was installed above the choir loft in the sanctuary.
During 2011, a Capital Campaign to build a new asset to our church began. The campaign focused on creating a facility that would come to be called "The Anchor." The Anchor is an auxiliary building, complete with full-size basketball/volleyball court, a fully equipped commercial kitchen, wonderful sound stage and lighting, classrooms, coffee bar, youth director's office, restrooms (with showers), and a nursery. The site is available for rental use with wedding receptions,, birthday parties and such. It also is the site of the Winterfield UMC contemporary worship service on Sunday mornings.